School of Hospitality Management and Tourism – Dublin Institute of Technology wins prestigious European Mise en Place Cup 2018
- February 22, 2018
- Posted by: Silvan Falchi
- Category: Education
The 10th anniversary edition of the European Mise en place Cup (EMCup) took place on Sunday February 18th and Monday February 19th in the gastronomic city of Maastricht. This edition revolved around the theme “High Touch vs High Tech”. The winner of the EMCup 2018 is School of Hospitality Management and Tourism – Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) – Ireland, followed by Escola Universitària de Turisme i Direcció Hotelera – Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) – Spain and Les Roches Global Hospitality Education – Switzerland.
33 reputable international Hotel Management Schools, from 16 different countries participated in the 10th edition of the European Mise en Place Cup. They gathered in Maastricht to share their vision on the theme “High Touch vs High Tech”. This theme focused on the question, how to use technology in our industry without losing the human touch? The students were judged by the Business Jury, consisting of more than 70 hospitality professionals from 40 different companies. These companies have to deal with the digital and technological revolution as well and can gain ideas and scout talent for their own organisation.
The teams of students conducted several assignments prior to the competition. They had to set-up a social media campaign to increase brand awareness on the EMCup and its theme. Besides that, they worked with the hotel simulation game HOTS and wrote an academic paper which was graded by the Business Jury members.
The teams pitched their academic paper during the competition days. Furthermore, they worked on a case which was pitched as well, while keeping the jury’s feedback in mind. All these elements were part of the ranking of the top 16. The top 16 battled in debates and the winners received the opportunity to elaborate on their case and presented their ideas to a large audience. The students showed how the industry can respond to the upcoming changes and what we can learn from other industries in which technological development is happening at a much faster pace.
“If you want to be part of something big and meet people who share the same passion as you do, then join the EMCup!”
The participating students had another important mission besides the competition; building a professional network. A rotating networking dinner took place at Hotel Management School Maastricht on the first competition day to stimulate interaction amongst the participants, where all partners hosted a table. Furthermore, an interactive session took place where the students could ask for advice from professionals in an informal atmosphere. The competition ended with an award dinner in the “Rebelle” (former church) in Maastricht, provided by Van Melick the catering company, where the awards were handed out. Of course, there was plenty of time to network.
The programme was moderated by trainers from Q-staff, who gave a training on behavioural styles and a workshop on personal branding as well. Next to that, Keynote Speaker Adjiedj Bakas gave a presentation related to the theme. The EMCup stands for long lasting relationships and students and the Business Jury members stay in touch via several channels.
Winners EMCup 2018
- Best HOTS-assignment: Les Roches Global Hospitality Education – Switzerland
- Best team photo: Özyeğin University, School of Applied Sciences – Turkey
- Best introduction movie: Escola Universitària de Turisme i Direcció Hotelera – Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) – Spain
- Best rumour around the brand: Özyeğin University, School of Applied Sciences – Turkey
- Best academic paper: International University Bad Honnef (IUBH) – Germany
- Best pitch – academic paper: Hotelschool The Hague – The Netherlands
- Best pitch – case: Hotelschool The Hague – The Netherlands
- Best debate: International University Bad Honnef (IUBH) – Germany
- Best team spirit: University of East London – United Kingdom
- Third place: Les Roches Global Hospitality Education – Switzerland
- Second place: Escola Universitària de Turisme i Direcció Hotelera – Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) – Spain
- Winner EMCup 2018: School of Hospitality Management and Tourism – Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) – Ireland